8 October 2018
Stay Smart Online Week 8-14 October
This week G&C Mutual Bank is proud to partner with Stay Smart Online to fight back against cybercrime and help you and your family stay safe online. Each year, Stay Smart Online Week brings a focus to our online security. Cybercrime is an increasing problem in Australia and at a global level.
It’s all about smarter ways to avoid the pain, money and time it costs to recover from cybercrime. We can all take simple actions to keep ourselves, our families and businesses protected when connected.
Statistics from the Norton SMB Cyber Security Survey - Australia 2017; ACSC Threat Report 2017 and NSW Small Business Commissioner - Cyber Aware Report 2017 tell the story:
- 516,380 Australian small businesses experienced cybercrime in 2017
- 54% of businesses who experienced a cyber-attack had fallen victim to an email or phishing scam
- business email compromise is a leading cause of cyber incidents, with over $20 million estimated lost to this method in 2016/17
- the cost of cybercrime to Australian business is estimated to be $1 billion per year.
- PASSWORDS: Passwords are the lock on the front door to our online lives. Make sure you have strong passwords and use a second layer of authentication, like an SMS code or a fingerprint.
- PHISHING: We all need to closely check emails asking for personal details, or verification of our passwords or bank details — whether we are at home or at work. Fake emails are getting increasingly sophisticated. Contact the vendor or organisation independently to check its authenticity.
- UPDATES: When you get a reminder to update the software on your computer, phone or apps, you should do it promptly. Better still, set it to auto-update. It will help you protect your information and identity.
- PUBLIC WI-FI: It is possible for others to see what you are doing over public Wi-Fi networks, so be wary - don't do online banking or online shopping or send sensitive information.
Stop cybercriminals from getting the keys to your life – lock down your online security today.